Van theft across the UK has soared by 45% over the last four years with more than 30,000 stolen since 2015, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles has revealed.
Almost 10,000 thefts have been recorded in the last year alone, according to official police statistics
Of the 9,371 van thefts reported in the past 12 months, the Metropolitan Police recorded more than half of the total with 4,777 commercial vehicles stolen in the area – a rise of 15%.
The biggest yearly increase in thefts was reported in Leicestershire with 10 times more vans stolen in 2018/19 than records for the year before. Van thefts in North Wales doubled while West Yorkshire police records show a 67% rise.
Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles is advising van owners and fleet managers to ensure their vehicles are fitted with the latest anti-theft devices as well as remembering to remove expensive tools from vehicles at night.
Top tips to secure your van
- Park in well-lit areas or car parks with CCTV or alternatively position your van so that the doors are blocked by another vehicle or object
- Window guards or full internal bulkheads can stop would-be thieves seeing inside
- Adding security film to the side or back window glass can stop criminals smashing it
- Fitting additional locks to rear and sliding doors can help deter thieves
- Invest in lockable internal racking or secure storage boxes for your most valuable tools
- Fitting a tracker can help police hunt down the van if it is stolen plus it may reduce your insurance premium